07 October 2012

Telling Our Parents

So...life has been busy as of late. In the last stretch of time, being about two and half months in my mind, a lot has happened.

Like, remember when I announced that we are having a baby!?! Yep, that's happening. For real. Eeek. So we found out that we were having a baby on July 30th. And now we are almost 15 weeks. Where is the time going!?

On August 19th, we went on family vacation with my family to Watercolor in Florida. Best place ever. Well, sadly, I didn't take any photos. Not a one. Because I was 6-7 weeks pregnant at the time and frankly, I just didn't feel like it. And I had a bike wreck the first day there, took the skin off my right calf/thigh/elbow/shoulder, and it took all week and then some to recover. So no...I didn't want to document the week. Which makes me sad. Because I am the picture taker in the family.

Vacation was still very fun. I laid on the beach, swam in the ocean, shopped at the outlets, and dreamt about our baby!! But because I was a little under the weather, my mom thought I had an infection in my wounds from my bike wreck and kept talking about taking me to the hospital. Finally, I realized we had to tell my family I was having a baby or else I was going to the ER to have them look at my giant and embarrassing scrapes. (I am 26 and just crashed my bike, it wasn't a cool story about how I almost got hit by a car or I swerved to avoid a baby crawling or something, I just crashed.)

So...when Sarah Beth got to the beach mid-week, and everyone (Mom, Dad, Will, me, John, Jesse, Kirstyn, and SB) was in the room greeting her, I decided this was my chance...

Me: Yay, I am so glad all 9 of us are here now!

Mom: Umm, no, there are just 8.

Me: No, there are 9 of us.

Mom: Caity, there are 8.

Me: No, 9.

Mom: Ok, let's count. John and Kirstyn are 2. You and Will are two...

Me: No, Will and I make 3.

Mom: No, you don't. You are 2, Caity. Unless you're pregnant or something.

Me: Surprise!!!

It took everyone a few minutes to catch on, but it was priceless. Sarah Beth actually already knew the news. (I had to confide in someone after Will and I found out!) My dad's response..."I knew it! I called it. I asked your mom on the beach the other day!" It was so fun to have our secret out and get to talk about the baby!!

So fast forward...we came home from the beach and went straight to Will's parents' house to pick up Chaco and tell our news! We had been talking with them about possibly adopting another dog, so we resumed that conversation when we got there. Will's dad just set it up perfectly when he said, "You might rethink that when you have a little one in the house." And Will said, "Well, speaking of that, we're having a baby." Will's mom, Paula, screamed. For the longest time. It was so funny and sweet how excited she was! I wish I had a video of this moment!!!

We were actually lucky enough to get to Ellen in person when she was here right before our beach trip. She promised to keep our secret until we had a chance to tell Will's parents! We were sad not to see Jeff but called to tell him our news before we left!

So the only photo I have to leave you with is this one...a photo of Baby Shinnick's first presents. Blabla rattles from my mom (whose grandma name is Bebe) and stacking rings and one of Will's and Ellen's favorite books from Paula (whose grandma name is Mimi).


Ok, so this post was a little longer than I meant for it to be. So the next one will have the whirlwind of August and September in full force.



No comments:

Post a Comment