We had our 16 week appointment yesterday and got to listen to the baby's heartbeat again. What a gift those few seconds are! At my 12 week appointment, my doctor had to "search" for the heartbeat - it was strong, but definitely harder to hear. Yesterday was quite the opposite! My tummy is sticking out now, just a little. And as soon as he put the doppler to my tummy, we were hearing the heartbeat...loud, strong, and fast! That's the sweetest sound I think I've ever heard.
My doctor is actually the very doctor who delivered me, my sister, and my two younger brothers. He's such a kind Christian man; and the funny thing is...he is getting his Masters in Divinity right now. Just because. Will asked him if he was going to leave his practice when he finished and he replied, "No, I just think I'm a lifelong student. And this will help me answer those big theological questions I am faced with in my job." I just love that he's in ministry, too. Will, Dr. S, and I just chat away through the appointments about our baby, faith, ministry, etc. It's wonderful!
So yesterday at the 16 week appointment, I was asking Dr. S a few of my questions. He mentioned that I should listen to my friends, family, and other moms and hear their opinions and advice, but to take it with a grain of salt. He reinforced that I am my own person, that I will be my own type of mom, and our baby will be different than other babies. Of course, other moms and their experiences will be vital and needed as I am learning to become a mom! But that I also get to make my own decisions with Will and we get to be a unique set of parents to this unique baby.
Then Dr. S shared the sweetest piece of wisdom. He said, "Let me share with you my take on children. God never gives anyone a weed. He only gives flowers. You may be a daffodil, and your baby may be a carnation. You can't make the carnation into a daffodil. But it's still a flower, and it's a part of your bunch. Some parents think they receive clay. That they can mold it into whatever they want. But it's not clay. It's a flower. And it's already been picked as the flower it will be."
Baby, I promise to let you be the flower you are.
I am a daffodil. And your daddy is definitely not a daffodil. We are different.
You might be like him. You might be like me.
But you will definitely be you.
And I will do my very best to let you grow into exactly who you are and who God meant you to be.
What a great way to put it. Thanks for sharing Caity, and I'm excited for you and Will! Looking forward to lots of baby posts :)
ReplyDelete