05 January 2012

In the New Year...

I'm just going to try to be happier and better. I don't really have resolutions. I have a few new eating habits I am enforcing, like learning to eat greens (I loved my first experience with sauteed kale) and cutting out cokes completely (gasp!..this is going to be hard). But instead of making resolutions about diets, working out, and the like...I decided I wanted to focus more on what would bring rest and health to my soul and mind.

Be thankful.
I started a running list of things and people I am thankful for. Anything I am thankful for makes it on the list...whether it's Blue Coast Burrito, cinnamon rolls from my neighbor, Chaco not barking at people walking by, cooking lessons from Will, or waking up early without an alarm. I've started jotting them down in a journal. My heart feels full when I go back and look over all the good things in my life.

Express my gratitude.
I love sending some good ole snail mail. But sometimes I get too busy and forget to write thank you notes. This year I want to be better about sending notes of gratitude...for gifts, friendships, encouragement, and random ways I have been blessed.

Spend more time with my grandparents and Will's grandparents.
Nothing makes me feel more nostalgic than spending an afternoon with my Grammy and Pawpaw. Or talking with Aunt Viva while looking at old photos. And over the course of 4 years, I have truly come to love Will's grandparents as my own. Nana and Papa are so giving of their time and energy to us and especially people in need. Grandmother and Granddad love to eat a good meal and talk. We are so blessed to have nearly all our grandparents still with us, and I want to soak up all the wisdom they have to offer!

Slow down and enjoy the little things.
I am a busy bee. Sometimes life just flies by. It felt like 2011 had just started, and then I turn around and it's 2012. This year I want to take time to enjoy little things. Drink my coffee at home instead of in the car. Tend to my garden when I get home after work. Walk Chaco joyfully, instead of looking at it like it's a chore. Make time for old friends, even when I'm "too busy" to see them. Sit outside in my yard and watch the sun go down.

Learn new things.
I love learning. This year I would like to learn a few new things. Calligraphy. Painting. Yoga. I don't know what else. Those were the first few things that came to mind.

Keep dating my husband.
Life gets hard. And busy. And sometimes I feel like I have nothing left to pour out. I come home tired. Defeated. Angry. Sad. And Will is there to listen, comfort, and encourage me. But I want to remember to come home excited to see him, excited like I used to be when we were dating. We are really blessed to have each other, and I just want to do my best to appreciate him for the blessing he is!

No comments:

Post a Comment