08 January 2012

Sovereign

I think back over the last 6 months, and I recognize two things. That people are broken. And God is sovereign.

Websters defines sovereign as one that "exercises supreme authority." Other dictionaries describe it has someone with total power, ultimate control, or as being above all others in integrity, character, excellence, and importance.

That last definition is my favorite. Apply that to God...that He is above all others in every way...in power, character, integrity, importance. Not only is He great. He is the greatest.

Lately, I have been overwhelmed by how much hurt there is. People hurt people. Death is inevitable. Love doesn't always last. Children are left by mothers and fathers. Husbands walk out on their wives, and vice versa. We are selfish, scared, broken, tired, defeated.

But God is above all that. He is sovereign.

And that's what He has been teaching me. That things change in my life. People I love are hurting and I can't make it better. But God is a better friend than me. A better comforter than me. Wiser. Stronger. More faithful. More consistent. He is perfect. He knows what we need. He hurts with us, but He has the power to heal us. He is the one we need, the one we long for whether we know it or not, the one who chooses us and loves us. Not because we deserve it. But because we are His.

These two songs by Aaron Keyes have been the songs in my heart over the last season. I believe these truths about who God is. And that gives me so much hope and strength. Click the links under the song titles to listen to the songs and read Aaron's thoughts.

SOVEREIGN OVER US
Read Aaron's words on the sovereign nature of God.

There is strength within the sorrow,
There is beauty in our tears
You meet us in our mourning,
With a love that casts out fear
You are working in our waiting,
Sanctifying us
When beyond our understanding,
You're teaching us to trust

Your plans are still to prosper,
You have not forgotten us
You're with us in the fire and the flood
Faithful forever,
Perfect in love
You are sovereign over us

You are wisdom unimagined,
Who could understand your ways
Reigning high above the heavens,
Reaching down in endless grace
You're the Lifter of the lowly,
Compassionate and kind
You surround and You uphold me,
Your promises are my delight

Even what the enemy means for evil
You turn it for our good,
You turn it for our good and for your glory
Even in the valley You are faithful
You're working for our good,
You're working for our good and for your glory 


DWELL
Read Aaron's thoughts on this song.

Though a thousand may fall at my side
Though the enemy war against me
I will not fear the terror by night 
I will hide in the shadow of your wings

I will dwell in the shelter of the Most High God
I will rest in the beauty of your presence 
Your faithfulness is a shield and my great reward
I will not be afraid, I will trust in the Lord

You have set me securely on high 
You’ve delivered me out of darkness
And when evil surrounds my life
You’ve commanded your angels to guard me

No weapon formed against me will prosper
No weapon formed against me will prosper
No weapon formed against me will prosper
Says the Lord

1 comment:

  1. You are so wise, Caity. I love this post and I love you!!!!

    I'm feeling a lot of those same things right now - I have a friend who has stage 4 cancer, another who's grieving the loss of her mother and another who is dealing with infertility. It's all so hard to understand, but God being the compassionate & intimate God that He is understands our pain and our weakness.

    Makes me think of the song, Blessings, by Laura Story -

    "What if my greatest disappointments
    Or the aching of this life
    Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
    And what if trials of this life
    The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
    Are Your mercies in disguise?"

    ReplyDelete