06 August 2011

When in Athens...

Do as the Athenians do. Right?

Athens Family Restaurant, in Nashville, was our first Food Network restaurant of the summer. We had heard that they had been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Will had eaten here before, but I hadn't. Our good friends, Luke & Heather, tagged along because she had never eaten there either! So I had assumed that Athens was like any other Greek restaurant. But boy, I was wrong. For starters, the sign below says "Great American & Greek Cuisine." I was about to find out what that meant...



How perfect that this was on their sign!



Luke's omelette & potatoes...those potatoes were fantastic.



Will & Heather ordered the Chicken Souvlaki sandwich...pita bread & marinated grilled chicken with the fixings.



Here's where the American comes in...I ordered the Bacon Lamb Burger, which was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. Melted swiss, their special "Love" seasoning, bacon wrapped around the burger, and some traditional burger fixings. And it is served with fries sprinkled with feta cheese.



This burger is awesome. So yummy.



And for dessert...baklava! This was my first time trying it.



"Oven baked layers of flaky phyllo pastry filled with walnuts & cinnamon, drizzled with lemon zest syrup."
Description courtesy of Athens.



Proof that we were here!



And our lovely friends, Heather & Luke.



The baklava disappeared quickly. It has just been added to my very favorite category of desserts which I like to call "Warm & Spicy," which includes apple pie, sticky toffee pudding, snickerdoodles, and more. Welcome to the family, Baklava!



And here's the Food Network clip when Guy Fieri vistited...enjoy! 


Summer Bucket List 2011 Update: Due to my travels, I missed out on going to Movies in the Park this year. I will make up for that in some way. Today I am going to the Franklin Theater...so be on the lookout for another SBL '11 post soon. And if anyone has ideas for my autumn list, I'd love to hear them. I've got a few swirling around in my brain, but I would love to hear yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment