16 August 2011

Saturday Movies Are Back


The last time I saw a movie at the Franklin Theatre was when I was at the final showing of Charlotte's Web. That was back in 2007, I think. I remember seeing lots of movies there as a child and teenager. So many good memories, walking around in downtown Franklin with my friends. Seeing movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show (weird, I know), Night at the Museum (why I saw that, no clue), and a bunch of classics. They also showed kids movies on Saturday morning.

When it closed in 2007, I was so sad. I worked in downtown Franklin at a consignment store in high school, and my first "real" job was at an agency on Main Street. I went the Fourth Avenue to church through college. And you better believe I attend most of the festivals that go on down there. The theatre is special to Franklin, and it's a landmark on Main Street. For the lights to go out, well, that was really sad. No one knew if it would reopen.

And then they started fundraising and campaigning to reopen the theatre! I went to the groundbreaking, and I saw the theatre completely gutted. And now it's open, after several years of being closed.

I decided that the first movie I saw at the newly reopened theatre needed to be special, a classic, something nostalgic. I found out they were going to show The Goonies as a Saturday Morning Kids Movie!!! Jesse (littlest brother) and I made plans to go, and we invited Wilkes (our nephew) to go with us. Wilkes is four now, and I remember watching The Goonies as a young child and loving it. He has already seen it, but I wanted him to see it on the big screen because neither of us had.


Drinking some good ole Purity chocolate milk before the morning movie!



What a cutie!!



Who's excited about seeing the Goonies?! We are!



Seeing a movie on a Saturday morning is the perfect activity for a rainy day!
That's us standing in front of the theater on the left!



Uncle Jesse and Wilkes after the movie...I wish I had a recording of Wilkes saying "Hey, you guys!" like Sloth. Priceless.

The theatre is beautiful and reminiscent of the original time period, the 1930s. It was so fun to see it set up the same way inside, with tables and chairs down in the front. But now there is a balcony too. If you haven't been, you should go. It's a great place for a date, or to take your nieces, nephews, or kids. We had so much fun. Wilkes was so into the movie that he spilled his popcorn everywhere. Yes, we ate popcorn at 10am. I am that aunt. The one that buys him chocolate milk, popcorn, and Sprite at 10am.

No comments:

Post a Comment