After paperwork and brief sitting in the waiting room, a nurse came and got us. This was at 10:30am. She took us to a room in the labor and delivery hall and started checking my vitals and getting me ready to go into the OR. We spoke with our doctor and the anesthesiologist. While I thought these couple hours would drag on, they actually flew by! All of the sudden we were ready, and they were taking me to the OR!
So we made the short walk to the OR with nurses, the anesthesiologist, and the nurse anesthetists. Will waited outside the OR while they took me in and got me all numb. Once I was situated and numb, the team got everything else ready in the room. In these moments of waiting for Will, I prayed and asked God to speak to me. (This is another post entirely. I'll link to it once I've written it.)
They brought Will into the OR, and following him came our doctor. He brought with him one of his colleagues who happened to be in the hospital that day. This OB had been his partner for about 30 years and was going to assist in the OR during our surgery. So we had 2 doctors there to bring Liam into the world!
Everything went great through surgery, except for one little bump in the road. With Hattie, the doctor said, "Ok, here she is!" and 10 seconds later, we heard her cry. Well, on this day, he said, "Ok, here we go, here he comes!" and then 10 seconds and...nothing. And more nothing. Then all the sudden all the nurses moved to the other side of the curtain away from my face. It was quiet in the room. And there was a lot of time that passed (in all honesty, probably a couple minutes, but it felt like forever!). Both doctors were concentrating on getting him out! It turns out that my abdominal muscles wouldn't move over to let him make his way out!! Nothing to be alarmed about but kind of rare! So after a few minutes of this, there he was. Instead of cry, we heard a gurgle and then a cry!!! And gosh, Will and I bawled.
Liam. Was finally here. Our son. William Michael Shinnick Jr. 7 lbs 12 oz. 19.5 inches. Born at 1:01pm on September 26, 2014. Just perfection.
The cruel thing about c sections is that the poor momma is just dying to see her baby, but can't yet because of the curtain and the nurses and all the people! Will walked over the the scale and table to see him get weighed and measured and suctioned. They were talking about his hair, and I think I said, "I can't see him!! Hold him up!!" And yeah, I just cried and cried. And thanked God. And cried some more.
Then the nurse brought him to me. Holding my son was just the most beautiful moment. I kissed his face and breathed him in. I snuggled him and whispered to him. Will and I rejoiced over him. Liam was finally here!
Ok, here's a whole bunch of pics...

Congratulations and blessings!
ReplyDelete