I was so excited for Will's birthday. On Thursday, I made decorations (that might be more for me than him, I don't know that he actually cares about that stuff), went to the grocery (because food is definitely something he cares about), and made some basic plans for the day on Friday (because we are both off on Fridays). Friday night we had dinner plans with some of our best friends.
A book page banner...tutorial can be found here.
I bought Will some flowers. Or I bought them for me. But kind of for him, too.
So Thursday night, he came home and saw his decorations (because I like to start the celebrating a little early). He cooked dinner while I rested from attending a consignment sale (because those things are nuts). Well, I decided to go to the mailbox. It was a little chilly and I took a couple jogging steps; seriously, just a couple...because I DO NOT RUN IN THIS PHASE because I am 36 weeks and feeling quite top heavy :) Well, a few minutes after I got back inside, I went from a normal heart rate to full blown palpitations that I could hear in my inner ears, making me dizzy, and just kind of making me feel terrible. I tried to rest until it passed. 20 minutes of palpitations is kind of exhausting.
So then we ate dinner. And we were sitting on the couch watching the Bible series on the History channel. I got up to grab my bible and double check some facts against the show. And, bam, all of the sudden the palpitations were back. For another 20 minutes.
I went to bed shortly after this, because it felt like I had run miles and miles and miles.
The next morning, as soon as I got out of bed and got to the door with Chaco, the 3rd wave of palpitations hit me. So we decided I should call the doctor. I had to wait an hour or so until his office opened. In the meantime, my poor sweet Will made his own birthday breakfast of homemade biscuits, sausage, and eggs. While I took a bath, tried to rest, and the 4th round of palpitations hit.
So we went to the doctor, and he assured me that our little baby was fine, but that I needed to head to Baptist to be monitored a little more closely and have an EKG. So off we went to the hospital. Poor Will's birthday was quickly getting derailed. (Which he kept getting mad at me when I would start to get upset about taking over his birthday, because he's just so good-hearted and sweet and didn't care a thing about his birthday).
At Baptist, they monitored me, did the EKG, and couldn't really determine anything. After 4 hours there, they decided to discharge me and just told me to rest. Because I hadn't had any palpitations while I was there, so it was kind of hard to determine anything.
Well, Will went to get the car and I waited in the lobby. And then guess what?! Palpitations. I walked right back into triage and told them it had just started. They hooked me up to the monitor and saw how high my heart rate was! Where a normal person's heart should be somewhere between 80 and 100, mine was 198! So they decided to keep me. Bummer, dude. And that quickly turned into staying overnight.
It was a little scary. Not knowing why my heart was going a little haywire. But it was so comforting to watch Hattie's heartbeat just stay so normal through it all, totally unaffected by mine. Which they hadn't expected to be the case. Maybe she's like her daddy, just laid back and even tempered through all my crazy :) Man, I hope so.
Here's my precious husband in the hospital, on his tiny bed.
So people say that you love your husband in all new ways after the baby comes. That you see different sides of him. And you can't believe you can love him anymore. Well, that's what this hospital stay was for me. He went home and got my things, packed my make-up (just in case this turned into us having a baby early, we weren't sure), got my favorite blanket and pillow, brought the Apple tv so we could rent a movie, and even brought the homemade chocolate chip cookies I had made the night before. All that was great and sweet.
But what was really moving was his concern and care. I don't think he's really had to do to much taking care of me through our marriage. Not physically at least (emotionally, umm, yes, more than his share). You see, I have this tough little shell that's hard to crack through, I grew up tough, not wanting to show pain, not wanting to be doted on, always saying I was fine, even if I was ready to burst into tears. But I was a little scared this time. And this boy just blew me away.
He climbed into the tiny twin bed with me and we watched a movie, shoulder to shoulder. He constantly got up to look at the monitor I was hooked up to. He helped me out of the bed every time I needed to get up. He was so calm and collected, yet concerned and present.
My heart physically was a little crazy, but my heart emotionally was so full.
So as for the physical condition of my heart...they think I have what's called supra ventricular tachycardia, which is basically sudden rapid heartbeat. It can last for any amount of time and healthy people can have it temporarily (like maybe mine is caused by pregnancy and all the extra blood my body is pumping) or you can have it indefinitely and learn to control it. After one night in the hospital, a few tests, constant monitoring...they decided to send me home. Right now, they have me on a prescription that will help keep my heart at a regular rate in case it decides to jump up again. So I am feeling much better. I'm at home, able to do all the things I normally do, I'm just supposed to pay a little extra attention to how I feel and how my heart feels. So that's a huge blessing.
I feel like we didn't do much celebrating. On Saturday, after they discharged me, we went to Soulshine Pizza Factory. And Saturday night, we went to Burger Up & Pinkberry. Will told me he felt celebrated because we went out to eat and because he got to hang out with me. Umm, right. Post-hospital Caity is loads of fun, I'm sure.
But, yeah, I am the luckiest girl in the world.
And I feel really blessed. Even though I wrote about Will's comfort, I know that it was God's comfort and peace just radiating through Will and settling on my hospital room.
And tomorrow, we hit the 37 week mark. Which is just crazy. 3 more weeks til my due date.

No comments:
Post a Comment