Today I left for a conference with the preschool minister from Fourth Avenue, and we knew we might hit some bad weather on the road to Atlanta. Well, we did.
We were past Jasper, and the weather was starting to look a little bad. Then my mom called, she told us that funnel clouds had been spotted and possibly a tornado coming out of Alabama...and it was near Jasper. We turned on the radio and started listening as they were saying "If you are in Jasper, you need to be taking cover!" Yikes...we were on 24 just miles past Jasper!
Katherine suggested we pull off at the rest stop that was coming up. We sat in the parking lot by Nickajack Lake, calling our husbands, getting weather information. Both our husbands suggested that we keep going. I look out the window towards the sky. One side of the sky was dark, the other super bright. I will never in my life forget what I saw. A bowl shaped cloud, like I was looking up at the underside of a bowl, in the most ominous shade of green. Just moving in place, not quite swirling, but not moving away. That was it for me. I told Katherine we were getting out and going in! And as we were getting out, a maintenance worker was coming to get us, saying there were funnel clouds nearby.
Katherine and I went in the bathroom there, and we crouched under the sink. We called our husbands and I called my mom to let her know we were safe. Then we prayed.
I boldly prayed for a covering of protection from the Lord. That he would shelter us beneath his wings and protect us from harm. Because he is bigger. And stronger. Praying and claiming that God is bigger and that our fear would subside because he is our comfort.
And then the storm came. For real. We listened as we heard the sound that everyone describes...like a train rushing past. The bathroom door was flapping open and we could hear branches and debris blowing by on the ground. Then it was quiet. The storm had passed.
We emerged from the bathroom to find branches and huge trees down everywhere. Traffic was stopped on the interstate. We could see a path where the storm/tornado had cut through the line of trees. It was awe-inspiring.
Praise God, for he provides and hears our prayers. He is our protector and comforter. He is good! I am thankful he gave us instincts to see danger today, thankful because I usually take my husband's advice because I trust him most but today God gave me decisiveness and calmness to react.
I know not all were so fortunate, and I am praying for comfort, relief, healing, and restoration for those affected. Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Texas...lives lost, homes destroyed, forever changed. My heart aches for people. But God is unchanging, true, and faithful. And always good.
The photos don't do this storm any justice...but this is at the rest stop...
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS! So glad you are safe! What a powerful, mighty, comforting and protecting God we serve... Whew. Makes me think of last years flood when I spent the worst of it in a Dairy Queen's freezer! I had to pull over and it was the only place with electricity... crazy.
ReplyDeleteLoving the 'real' photos of the incident!
oh.my.word! Caity--I'm so thankful you are safe--God is good all the time, even in the midst of crouching down in a rest stop bathroom while a tornado is right on top of you! I'll pray that your weekend in Atlanta goes well!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're safe and sound - I read that and tears just welled up in my eyes, for all those who were effected by those storms. I am so glad you are safe and had the discernment to know when to take cover...
ReplyDeleteAnd how inspiring to see God through all of it, thanks for putting it all into perspective for me.
Much love, and I hope the conference goes well!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI was also at this rest area at the same time and the same attendant came out to warn me that a tornado was approaching. I ran to the buildings and took shelter in the men's restroom. But after a few moments, I chose to look out the door and saw that the tornado was in the middle of the lake and not moving or moving very slowly.
ReplyDeleteI was concerned with the location of the men's restroom, there was nothing between it and the tornado and decided to check the women's restroom. When I opened the door and asked if anyone was there someone replied yes. I wasn't sure if they were taking shelter or simply doing what you do in the restroom so i warned them that a tornado was approaching.
I then chose to attempt to outrun the storm in my car (foolish I know, I know better, but in the end it worked out ok) and sped away with the storm in my rearview mirror.
When returning home onThursday i stopped at the rest area and found it barricaded with a lot of damage to the trees but it appeared the restrooms were intact. I asked a worker on site if he knew the condition of the people at the rest area during the storm and he knew the attendant was fine but did not know about anyone else.
Based on your post it appears you are ok.
It looks like we have something to add to our Praises this week.
Stan - Cypress Texas