12 January 2010

A Husband Who Cooks

If you don't already know this, my husband is a great cook. And when I say great, I don't mean he makes dinner and it tastes good. I mean he is GREAT, and creative, and inquisitive, and eager to always know more.

After our senior prom, he made bananas foster for our whole group and my family when we spent the night there. This led to Will making this delicious dessert several more times at family events - most recently at my mom's family reunion! He made the most beautiful apple pie I have ever seen - with a made-from-scratch lattice crust. He learned to make sushi from a friend - and since then we have lots of little sushi parties with different people - passing on the knowledge. Will makes the most delicious fettuccine alfredo - I used to hate this dish growing up but now it's one of my favorites!

Most recently he is on the quest of mastering bread. Will always raves about Grandmother's bread, and how he wishes she still made it. And his Nana makes great rolls and biscuits, and he has memories of making them with her. No wonder he loves to cook. Here's a pic of the yeast rolls he made last night...



 and here's my chef working hard...



Growing up, I was not the best cook. Or the most confident. There have been numerous times when I was supposed the make the homemade brownies (we never made them from the box at my house) for a party or holiday...and I botched them. Such as twice as much salt. Or I left out the sugar one time. This was a little funny to some in my house, even to me sometimes, but it usually resulted in me crying and swearing off cooking.

Then I met, dated, & married Will. And he was & is a fabulous cook. He has encouraged me, taught me to be confident, to just keep trying, and sometimes he throws me out there on my own to whip up a meal for the two of us. And I have found that I actually enjoy cooking. I kind of love it now. Last night, we also made banana pecan muffins with streusel topping and here they are...



I'm so lucky to be married to my best friend who challenges me in areas where I had once given up. We celebrated our 2nd anniversary on the 29th of December, and it some ways it seems like it has flown by. And in other ways, it's hard to remember my life without him!

1 comment:

  1. can i just move into one of your extra rooms? and would a lifetime supply of those yeast rolls be included in rent??

    ReplyDelete