13 May 2013

Love Grows

I have had these musings stirring in my heart for a while and I haven't been able to stop thinking about them. Love has always been a big part of my life. Love within my family growing up, between me and my siblings, between me and my parents. A different love between Will and me. And a new love between Hattie and me. The one thing I have been thinking about and pondered before Hattie's birth was how love grows.

The love I have for my parents and brothers and sisters is probably the first love I knew. I have never known life without them, and so the love, while it has grown, has always been present and deep. This love feels fierce and protective, consistent and forever, deep and wide, life-shaping and ever-comforting. This love didn't take my nurturing for it to even grow. Maybe because we lived in the same house, interacted daily, saw each other's highs and lows, spent hours bored in the summer, spent hours on vacation and adventure, experienced all facets of life together...that love just naturally grew.


I feel like we are still these same little rascals...


...who still love hanging out and messing around together!

And then there is the love I have for Will. I remember being 17 and getting to know Will. The love I felt was shallow, but there was such a pull to him. It was attraction at first, but quickly there were feelings of love there. Even as high school seniors, we knew we loved each other. It was shallow, sweet, and new. As we learned about the other, it grew. But it took time. And it hurt so badly to find out the other's flaws and how they affected the other. But as we became vulnerable and as we opened up, we found this beautiful depth to our relationship. We learned that we didn't just like having fun together, but that we had shared dreams and a strong bond in Jesus. Our love took nurturing, it took time, it took work, and it's been so rewarding. It's been the biggest blessing, the most wonderful gift. I'm 27 now, and the 9 years of being with Will have been worth every tear and smile, every fight and adventure, every moment. As time passes, I feel closer to him and more connected to his heart.


High school babies!


Me and my handsome groom!


Adventure time!


Crazy about this boy still!

Before Hattie was born, I wondered what it would feel like to love her. How this love would grow. I already loved her when I was still carrying her, but I knew it would change upon holding her, hearing her, seeing her, etc. And boy, was I right! This series of photos captures what happened in my heart...




Love exploded in my heart. It was fast and instant, deep and rich, full and encompassing, intense and protective, sweet and pure. The moment I heard her cry, I felt relief wash over me and I felt this new beautiful love that swept me up. I believe wholeheartedly that this is the love that God, our Father, feels for us. In the 5 weeks of being Hattie's momma, this love has not faded one bit. It's only grown deeper and fuller as I learn about her. As I see bits of her personality, as I snuggle and kiss her, as I spend time with her. It's the sweetest time of my life.




I am so blessed to be this precious baby's momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment